Unlike other appliances in your home, your water heater never gets a break. Water heaters are in use every day, they constantly keep the water nice and warm for your use 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. You rely on your hot water for bathing/showers, washing dishes, laundry and more. Having reliable hot water is something that you and your family can’t live without.
If your hot water tank isn’t working properly, or needs replacement, getting the repair or replacement done quickly and done right is key. Petra Plumbing & Heating has replaced over a 1,000 water heaters in our 30+ years of service. A big difference with us is we let you know when you should repair your water heater and when it will be more cost effective to replace it. We’ll give you all your options so you can make the decision that’s right for you and your budget.
Call us at (518) 488-9977, we are available Mon. – Sat. and Sunday for emergencies.
Hot Water Heater Lifespan
The lifespan of typical hot water heater ranges between 5 – 10 years. with better quality water heaters will have a better warranty and lifespan. A major factor in hot water heater lifespan is water quality. Hard water can have a huge impact on tank lifespan, especially extreme hard water, which can shrink you hot water tank’s life to only 5 years.
Most hot water heaters (sometimes called hot water tanks) heat your water using electricity or gas, if you don’t have a traditional “tank”, you either have a boiler (which heats your home and your hot water) or a high efficiency tankless water heater (out favorite).
Hot Water Tank Maintenance
Maintenance can extend your hot water heater life, periodic descaling and inspection for leaks in supply pipes and valve,s as well as draining the tank to remove sediment is recommended. If you’ve never drained your tank, and the tank is on the older side, you may actually cause more of a problem, so call a professional plumber for service like Petra Plumbing & Heating. We offer annual maintenance and inspection to help extend the life of your hot water tank.
Signs a Hot Water Tank Needs Replacement
- Age of the Tank – If you tank warranty is up, and it has been about 10 years and are experiencing any issues it may by time to replace the tank.
- Discolored or Rusty Water – This is usually a sign that the tank lining has failed and the hot water tank is rusting from the inside out.
- Leaks, Standing or Pooling Water – If you have water around your tank, not from a supply pipe or pressure relief valve, your hot water tank has most likely failed and should be replaced immediately.
- Inconsistent Hot Water – If you are no longer getting the same amount of hot water or you experience no hot water, it’s time to replace that tank.
- Unusual Noise – If you are experiencing clanging, popping or other unusual noises, you probably have scale built up on the heating element.
- Metallic Taste or Smell – If your water has a metallic taste or smell this is a good indicator that your tank is starting to rust on the inside and will need replacement.
Troubleshooting Simple Problems
If you don’t have hot water don’t panic, you may have a simple problem, something you can fix yourself, or we would be happy to help.
- No Power – If you have an electric powered water heater, check to see if you blew a fuse (if this keeps happening call a professional), some smaller electric models and tankless heaters have cords, has the tank accidentally come unplugged?
- No Gas – If you are heating with Gas, check to see if the Pilot is lit, sometimes changes in gas pressure can cause the pilot to go out, if it keep happening you probably need a small repair to the thermocouple.
- Not Enough Hot Water – Check to see if you have the thermostat set properly to provide enough hot water, if your family has grown or your kids are now teenagers you may just need a bigger tank (consider a tankless).
- Too Long to Reheat – Check the thermostat, or you may also need to flush the heater.
- Water is Too Hot – Turn down the thermostat, if this continues to be a problem call a plumber as it may be a faulty pressure relief valve.
If you are experiencing problems with your hot water tank call us at (518) 488-9977. We will come to your home or business to figure out the problem with your hot water heater, whether you need the tank repaired or replaced, we will have your hot water up and running in no-time.